I am one of those very few who agrees that first impressions are vital. Probably some of you out there don't think of it as nessecary and some of you would easily let first impressions pass you by only because you already have a strong persona. Setting foot onto a fresh and totally unfamiliar environment and trying to bond with unfriendly strangers (some), I would love to set a outstanding impression. I have no idea what an outstanding impression is but basically i do not want to be a forgettable face.
It is a vast community with blends of different culture and backgrounds. I want and need to stand out in the crowd. I try to prove my qualities I believe I have but I'm not quite sure people noticed. Why do some individuals just speak up or dress to impress and they get a swarm of fans eager to know him or her better? Or perhaps just want to get an inch closer to him or her for social benefits.
Is it because I am quiet? Maybe I am a woman of few words and I only speak up when I have the need to, especially in team work. Is it because I dont speak loud enough to be heard or my boring put-on-appearence signals others to turn a deaf ear? Perhaps it is my looks that are completely utterly forgettable. I can be funny if I want to but unfortunately, not all could capture my humor and in some cases, sarcasm. Maybe I am just not so fortunate to have the face of a leader but that does not mean I haven't got the qualities.
I feel they have judged me too soon. There is a person whom I attend classes with and it's already been 2 weeks. I was absolutely blown away when he asked me which course I was in. Being my sarcastic self, I replied him and he didn't get me. After approximately 4 hours, he realised I was his course-mate. So tell me how bizarre that is. Do I really have such a forgettable face? I was hurt but there was nothing I could do. Damn jerk!
It has only been the 2nd week of college and I might have expected too much out of it. I do admit that I like attention and I mean who doesnt? It isnt as if I want all of it but least people can do is give me some recognition. Anyone out there care to suggest anything so I can improve my skills or anything at all? Besides being myself, because I have to give myself some time to adapt before projecting the real, true and one-and-only SHIRLENE!
2 comments:
If it makes you feel any better, everyone I went to university with found the first few weeks one of the most terrifying times of their lives. And why not? After all, you are taken out of your comfort zone and thrust into an environment where you not only have to meet lots of new people and adjust to a new study environment, you need to and look cool at the same time. A tall order. Don't worry, nobody ever seems the way they are in the first few weeks. One of the most sociable girls I went to uni with actually hid in her room for 3 months before venturing out. Everybody thought she joined us mid-term. Let the loudmouths do what they need to do. You do what you need to do. When the dust settles, the true selves will appear.
Thank you! I can feel the my fiery self unleashing... I guess all I need is time ; )
Post a Comment